PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTC Africa
Thread: FTC Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2003, 17:26
df1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim,

I can't comment on the school from personal experience, but I know a handful of guys that have had problems there.

I was in SA recently and its an absolutely fantastic place. The people are great and I never really encountered any problems with regard to crime etc (although you must take all precautions!!). I'm already making plans to holiday there (Cape Town is spectacular!).

My experience of training in SA is similar to what many appear to have experienced with FTC. So, forgive me for saying this, but there is a hardcore of individuals providing training who are out to sh@ft the customer. I've flown in a range of countries but nowhere compares to SA for its uncrupulous. I was shocked. (This is my honest opinion, but I don't doubt that there are a number of good schools in SA).

Beware (I am sure you are) of the way your accounts are proposed to be run. Paying into an offshore account may preclude you from certain rights as far as consumers go. Explain that for accounting purposes you need to show that your money is being spent on flying - with appropriate receipts.

Finally, be extremely careful if using an independent recruiter as I and others did. A gentleman who offered his service as a recruiter to a number of schools in SA has certainly got a lot to answer for, although he appears to have vanished! Investigations go on.

Please be careful Jim, and for the sake of delaying your training a little throroughly investigate your chosen school.

And if you do decide to go to SA, give yourself a trial period there, where you and your pride won't be too badly hurt if you want to come home.

All the best.