PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2016, 19:43
Danny42C

Octane (#9893),

Strangely enough, not really. Christmas 1940, I spent at home, having just enlisted and been sent home on "deferred service".

Christmas, 1941, I was in the US, it was just after Pearl Harbor, they were still so shell-shocked that they had little heart for celebrations, it was very quiet. Log shows three flights on 24th, then two on 27th, so something must've happened in between, but I can't remember what.

Christmas, 1942, I was at Worli (Transit Camp): vivid memory, as a Sergeant, of serving Christmas dinner to airmen while under violent air attack from every sh***hawk in Bombay.

Christmas, 1943, now an officer, flew an 'op' on morning of 24th, then an "admin" flight in afternoon, then nothing till another "admin" flight on 27th. Again the tantalising gap, but as 1941, no memory. Had recently been shanghaid onto 8 (IAF) Sqn, most of the incumbents were Moslems, or Sikhs, or various other Hindus, so a Christian celebration seems unlikely.

Christmas, 1944, out of a job in Yelahanka, very few in Mess, quiet.

Christmas, 1945, up in the snows of Kashmir on RAF Ski School, having basely deserted my "squeeze" in Cannanore (she got her own back in spades when I returned !) Too cold and too exhausted to bother with Christmas Day.

1946, back home a civvie again.

All recorded in detail somewhere on this (and other) Threads. Will try and find references if you want (and if PPRuNe "Search this Thread" will work) - but don't hold your breath !

Not much of a story, really. Cheers and Happy New Year ! Danny.

PS: We appear to be on opposite sides of the argument in Another Place, but then: "Quot homines, Tot sententiae". D.