PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2016, 14:00
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
Uplinker:
jumpx3 is very kind with you to explain how it normally works, , and he is 100% correct .
I am however a bit puzzled by 2 points in your reply :
Quote:
I have 16 years commercial passenger flying experience, including 10 years flying heavy twin jets (A330) longhaul
and
Quote:
I did wonder if EVA015 had suffered a compass malfunction,
Not really compatible I would say.
Hello ATC Watcher. I am sorry to have caused you puzzlement. So far, your contribution to this thread has mostly been regarding the 250 Kts below FL100 rule, and having a go at me. I wonder if you have actually read my posts carefully or just skimmed them? And have you listened carefully to the ATC tape? Judging by your attacks, it would seem that I am missing something obvious, so I would be interested to know what your theory is as to why EVA015, on being told "turn....[something].......heading 180", actually turned north and kept a heading just east of north all the way until it got to Mount Wilson?

I am very familiar with being given heading turns of more than 180 degrees, and in that event ATC usually says something like "left, left onto heading xxx degrees", or "all the way round to heading xxx", or " the long way round to heading xxx". If they don't, then I or my colleague will query the turn direction, just to be sure.

You dismiss my suggestion of a compass malfunction : Was it a Korean 747-400 that crashed out of Stansted UK whose PFD1 malfunctioned and the F/O did not query or take control out of apparent cultural deference to the Captain but just watched as the Captain followed his failed PFD and banked into the ground?

I completely agree; being given a heading of 018 degrees by ATC is most unlikely - they would say 015, or 020. I am merely trying to understand why EVA015 headed just east of north after being given a heading of 180? Was PF dyslexic or confused?

As far as EVA015 ignoring instructions; Well judging by ATC's comments and looking at the graphic:- after his initial incorrect turn, he did not act on any of the heading changes given by ATC until he got to Mount Wilson. That seems to me to be ignoring instructions. Had he not understood the instructions, then why did he not query them?