PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2016, 09:37
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ElectroVlasic
I don't think I'd go with "entire", but would say this thread seems to be fixated on radio terminology (which I can say is a pet peeve of this forum after reading it for more than a few years) and largely ignoring the fact that the crew was told to get to heading 180, and acknowledged that, and regardless of the issue regarding left turn vs right turn, flew heading 0.
Thanks!
I thought I was missing something because everyone was so fixated on the "Southbound" Radio stuff.
And I was wondering what on Earth was so complicated in understanding Heading 180, Turn Southbound plus knowing that closely North of LA since Thousands of Years there has been a huge Mountain range with lowest Elevations ~8000ft and chances are that won't have changed over Night.

Yes the comms were surely less than ideal. But I expect from Airline Pilots a minimum Situational Awareness. In this case it is so fundamentally clear that they were completely lacking any SA .
Normally I'm not happy if they hang the Pilots to dry as a PR measure. In this case I would support this. I surely wouldn't want to have these guys in the Cockpit of a plane I fly with.