PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockheed Electra
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2016, 20:37
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a Tech Service at EAL I flew a lot of jump seat. I remember riding a DC-8-61 out of SJU to JFK. No need for Loran, we just followed the bright anti-collision light on the Pan Am B747 with its INS. It was much higher than we were and easy to follow.
The L-188 Electras were in system use in 1967 for I had to go up and run a maintenance FAM course in Cleveland and Montreal for EXPO.
After that last hurrah, the Electras were only on the EAL Shuttle, DC_to LGA or EWR and LGA or EWR to BOS. Toward the end of their service at EAL they booked an L-188 charter from LGA (I think) to SJU and then one of the islands. First problem was to find an aircraft that still had the HF wire aerials installed. Second was to install the sets and make them work. The third was to find one of the old plug-in LORAN sets and install it and get it to work. Aircraft was spruced up inside, rafts and emergency gear restocked, galley equipment reactivated (Shuttle had no food service) and the shuttle ticket carts removed.
I put my most L-188 experienced Tech Supervisor on board the charter as we knew SJU hadn't seen an Electra in many years. Off it went. As he reported the aircraft did fine the first hour. It had not flown for more than an hour for years being in Shuttle service and it began to wonder why it wasn't being landed. There were little problems at first. The LORAN set was to the left of the Captain and sat on its mount. It required my Supervisor to force it down against the disused contacts and hold it there in order to operate. He got a shock if he let up on the pressure. As it flew on, various instruments began to give up. The engines however performed perfectly. As a grand finale the potable water tank in the ceiling between the lavs split open a seam and dumped its water in the aisle. EAL in SJU had to charter a Caribair aircraft to finish the flight down to one of the islands.
Regarding the horrific pictures of the sprung wing planks, it happened before but on the ground. During a structural repair inside the wing fuel tanks, paper cups were used to hold the fasteners. In accordance with Murphy's Law one was left inside. On refueling it inevitably found the fuel vent and blocked it. With the huge area, even a small differential pressure builds an enormous force and it sprung a plank loose. The aircraft was repaired but that was many, many years ago when it was in regular service. Somehow I doubt this one will be.
The Electra with all its quirky air-conditioning systems (Freon, air-cycle and electric heat), electrical system full of relays performing bus switching, electrically driven hydraulic system and stiff planked wings was a challenge to maintenance. I did love the engines though.