PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 225 Return to REAL Service
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2016, 17:05
Concentric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roscoe1
Still waiting to hear the severity of the damage due to the gearbox being involved in a road transportation accident. What actually was performed after that incident and how deep did they go on the repair ?Until that is revealed all of the folks who are swirling gearbox engineering formulas and stress analysis are just blowing smoke. Maybe it's a fat red herring but maybe fate was sealed as a result of something that happened (or didn't happen) half a world away and a long time ago. l can't help but think that the things you know about should be evaluated before the things you hypothesize about.

There is a work order somewhere that has the details and an insurance report on the accident with photos and descriptions. I suspect that stuff won't see the light of day outside a courtroom but it might be interesting.
And who knew about the RTA (because they themselves had repaired the epicyclic module, perhaps even with reports and photos - but I am only guessing about those) before they started hypothesizing about suspension bar pins, then attachment bolt torques? “Blowing smoke” did you say?

Shortcomings and omissions in the stress analyses of both the 2nd stage planet gear and the bevel gear shaft that I have referred to are not hypotheses. They are documented in AAIB reports. I generally give references. If I have missed some please point them out and I will cite the relevant source(s) for you.

If AH were sure it was the RTA that caused the planet gear to fail, why remove the -07 gear from service and why increase MCD and oil filter inspections on the -06 gear to every 10 flying hours?