PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2016, 16:33
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
And a very happy Christmas Mr T. You really have a way with words

I recall she had some scathing comment for you earlier this year so I guess (like me) the Christmas card has not arrived.

My advice to TCT is to reflect on this from her Times interview.

She admits she could have done more to correct misleading reports that made liberal use of the phrase “flying solo”.

“I wish we’d sorted that misreporting out but I can’t do everything all of the time,” she said.
source Tracey Curtis Taylor - Aviatrix, Adventurer, Inspirational Speaker

So why did she not confess to Portsmouth University that their letter of award for solo flight needed correction?

Satco posted this question earlier.
Dated 16 Feb 2016, and signed by the Vice Chancellor para 2 states:

"The Committee would be delighted if you would agree to attend and receive an honorary degree in recognition of your recent inspirational 13,000 mile solo flight from Farnborough to Sydney. There is much admiration for your outstanding achievements, both in your recent flight and your 2013 flight between Cape Town and Goodwood."

So, there you have it, in their own words, signed-off by the VC, an award for SOLO flights. No mention at all of any outreach, role model, STEM encouragement. I conclude that the award, like the Bill Woodham Trophy, was issued on a lie and should therefore be removed.
TCT and her PR man Tim Kelly were both in receipt of this letter last April.

The Times article contained this
She estimates she was alone in the aircraft for about 10 per cent of the time, with guest passengers for 20 per cent and with Ewald Gritsch, her Austrian engineer, for the rest.
In addition to Jonzarno's question I would like to know why you accepted the honorary Doctorate from Portsmouth University Tracey which clearly cites it was in recognition of what they honestly perceived to be solo flights?

Some of you may question why we keep this thread going and digging deeper.

Portsmouth University is a public body. They have a responsibily to be honest and truthful in awards.

Hunterboy sums the issue up well.
The sad thing is that it devalues these awards for those that deserve them. There will the whiff of bull**** and spin anytime that honours are handed out.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 24th Dec 2016 at 17:13.