PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 24th Dec 2016, 15:29
Shack37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG,
I hope your posts continue to be read by many more Pruners for the wisdom, understanding and knowledge they contain of what happened and continues to happen in Northern Ireland. Most of all I thank you for your service.

I was born and brought up in East Belfast before leaving at 16 y/o to join the RAF in 1960 so I had already seen some violence in the 50´s episode.

I was based at RAF Ballykelly when the troops first arrived to assist the RUC in protecting the marches back then. Some were stationed on our base and I saw how they were first welcomed with open arms and cups of tea on street corners. It was not long however before they began returning to BK bandaged or with arms in slings etc from injuries caused by bricks and bottles thrown at them by the protectees and this was just the beginning.

I read the local Belfast Telegraph daily online and have a brother still there so I am aware that, as you said, the "show" goes on. That same brother was a pólice officer in Birmingham at the time of the pub bombings there and was involved in the rescue efforts at the bars involved.

Good luck to you and yours, have a peaceful Christmas and 2017.