PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An old pilot returns to the fold. A ramble from the past
Old 24th Dec 2016, 15:19
ElderlyGent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FALCO IN THE FOG E.G adds to the saga.

Hi All, Just trying to keep the interrest going with these tales of years ago.

Falco in the Fog.

After I had actually bought the Falco I had to go to Southampton to collect it. We, that is my flying friend and I were driven there by a mate and left to our own devices.

The Falco is a wooden aeroplane of monocoque construction, but is fully aerobatic from plus 6 to minus 3 g. It cruies at around 120 knots. It is stick instead of yoke steering so it is more like a Spitfire.. A joy to fly and almost viceless. Stall and spins recover fast, and I didn't see a wing drop at the stall. Just nose down. When the gear came up you could see little tell tale rods poking up through the wings and nose cowling to tell you they were in fact up.

As we were preparing to go I watched what I think was a King Air coming in to land. That guy really knoew his aeroplane. He flared it out and held it no more than 6 inches off the deck, then I heard the engines throttle back and the KA just touched without a jar of any kind and rolled to a stop. Talk about a greaser. Things like that made me want to do it just like that, and I think we all feel so happy when we actually do it right, so satisfying.

At risk of going off this thread I do also remember at Liverpool watching a DC3 Dakota do a strong cross wind landing. I could see the wing down and then the upwind main wheel touched and held then slowly the other one and lastly the tail wheel. It was beautiful.

But enough of those memories for now.

Our flight was to Liverpool as this was to be my home base. It was a VFR flight so we could go more or less straight upcountry. I planned to fly just above 3000 feet so I could fly quadrantals and be well clear of the traffic below that level.

The Falco had three fuel tanks, one in the centre for take off and landing, then switch to a wing. You will have to excuse the paucity of info on the trip as it is the ending that is the point of this saga.
As we flew north I could hear reports of fog closin in behind us. But as it was clear ahead we carried on. But.
Then it was the turn of Liverpool, They were going IFR. OK do I now divert to the Isle of Man. as I couldn't turn back, and if I did and they were N/A what then, Back over water with diminishing fuel with possibly no where to go even then,
Blackpool was the only place left. Called them and they were clear for now, A call to Liverpool to tell the of our change of plan, as they knew we were on their radar. Fortunately I was by then IMC certified so it was no problem. But I went well west of them just in case then came back so I could follow the coast north.

We all learned during our ppl ground work that while it is possible to see the ground verically through mist or light fog, as you move away the linear distance increases and the visbility decreases. Very true in our case as we approached Blackpool. ATC told us that we had better hurry as the fog was thickening fast. The runway in use was I think about 26 but more or less East West and along the north edge of the field was a huge single story factory building that made car exhausts and its name was painted in large letters along the roof.
I kept us as far as possible to the west. but still being able to just see the field. My friend had excellent sight so he was spotter while I did all the pre landing checks.
Turned down wind and got the gear down. Droopped down to about 200 feet and then out of the corner of my eye I saw below a man washing his car with a hose gushing a jet of water. In that few seconds I saw him look up and as he did the jet of water went vertical. It took a heartbeat to pass, but I did see the total astonishment writ plain on his face. Where the water went I don't know, but I nearly laughed, and then the serious stuff took over.
Cleared to land , so past the end of the factory, and the tightest possible turn. Add power, and keep the flaps up. I'm not doing one of those very slow full flap turns this close to the ground. If I didn't turn close in I would lose the runway and I did not want to go round again.
My friend was shouting, I have the runway. Come right a bit, OK there it is. full flap now, power back and we touch down,
As we roll out, I hear the ATC clsoing he airfield.
We were last in by the narrowest of margins. I have often wondered what would have actually been the outcome if we had not made it into Blackpool. A wheels up landing in a field I suppose. Practice for that is OK, but I would not want to find out for real.
I hopee you enjoy these tales. Comments are always welcom, good or not so good as they help me to improve.
Chers. D.