PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TP Command or Jet F/O?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2016, 08:05
Stuck_in_an_ATR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chesty is right. I was in the same situation a couple of years ago and took ATR command (actually was even a bit forced into it, instead of going for a RH seat in a jet).

It didn't feel entirely right at the time - I felt I was stuck on the ATR for eternity (my PPRune moniker reflects my then-frustration ). However, it turned out to be 4 years or so, and it was a great way to gain command experience and sharpen my flying skills. ATR is perfect for that.

When the tide turned and I got a jet TR, I briefly had to go back to the RH seat. However, my previous command experience allowed me to upgrade in minimum time (500 hours on type, or so) and the process has been a breeze. Couple of years later I am flying happily as a widebody CA. Some of the guys that took the jet while I got the ATR command (10 years ago) are still F/Os, or at least upgraded to jet CA much later.

I know it is a bit market-dependent and know some guys who had been stuck on a TP forever and can't get out of it. Still, I would not totally disparage the idea of ATR command...