PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Part 61 conundrum for Australian ATPL applicants
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 06:50
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
There has always been a requirement for an ATPL test flight. If you can find a copy of the old CAO's its there in black and white, there was even an appendix to lay out what was required to be completed for the test flight.
The difference back then was common sense. The regulator recognised that the requirements for the issue of an instrument rating were of a higher standard than the ATPL, therefore if you held an instrument rating the flight test was waived.
In the US the ATPL test ride is really an instrument check ride, an instrument rating being required to hold an ATPL.
What I ponder is there a safety case for the convoluted system Australia has developed, along with the plethora of what can be very expensive recency requirements.
I dont disagree with the need for some sort of test, but if you have already demonstrated competence to fly to the required standard whats the point?
The multi crew stuff I believe is a furphy. Most of it is already covered in CRM, the rest should be covered in SOP's. The Multi crew requirement I believe is just a very expensive
waste of time better handled by individual airlines training departments, I don't believe there is a safety case that warrants it.