PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 00:57
OMG Itz Fulovstarz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Mach2number,

Is it just? - only if/when the jury reaches a verdict will we know if justice has been done.
Is it fair? - No.

You might not like the first answer, but the problem is the only people who know exactly what happened during this incident are the people who were there, or the people who investigated it. Rest assured, if you are not in those two groups, you will not know the full story.

What is justice anyway? In the N.I. context, I'm not sure I know any longer. I hope with all my heart that the authorities are investigating the murders of innocent civilians, soldiers and police with the same focus as this incident. We demand it.

After the Good Friday Agreement, we produced a pin badge. It was a small outline badge of Northern Ireland split into three horizontal bands in the colours red, green and black - the colours of the RUC (George Cross). The top band had the number 302 - the number of our dead. The middle band had the number 211- the number of unsolved murders of our dead colleagues. The lower band had the question "Why?"

We are still waiting for an answer to that question.

We will not be lectured on "justice" by anyone.

As to fairness, nothing in N.I. was ever fair. The good guys played by the rules and the bad guys didn't. Unfortunately this means that the good guys, who keep records of who did what, are easy targets for legal action, because of those records. The bad guys didn't keep records.

When I joined I was an idealist, in many ways I still am. I believed then, as I do now, that no-one is above the law. The law must be applied equally to all, without fear or favour.

Very few people in the U.K. are permitted to carry loaded firearms in a public place, and use them to take another persons life, if the circumstances warrant it. As the saying goes, with power, comes responsibility. Pull the trigger, and you will be investigated to the 'n'th level. That's the way it has to be, if you want to live in a democracy.

Anyway, the crux of the matter is this:-

1. What level of investigation took place into the incident at the time?
2. No further action was taken at that stage, why?
3. What new evidence or information came forward during the HET re-investigation?
4. Why was prosecution directed on this occasion?

Re. question 4, was prosecution directed as a result of new evidence. If not, then I would contend that it supports the view that this was directed as an act of political appeasement. Unfortunately, we will only know the answers to these questions if/when the matter comes before a Court, which is of no comfort to the Paratroopers concerned.

I could go on longer, but I would only get angry. Not at you Mr. Mach2number, but at the continued injustice.....

We fought for peace, but not peace like this.