PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All's well that ends well
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 21:15
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by n5296s
Curious to the difference between an EOL and an auto? Does EOL mean actually shutting down the engine? You'd have to be insane to do that imo. Or do you mean a full-down auto to an actual landing, as opposed to a power recovery auto?

fwiw, in the US at least, for a PPL-H you need to demonstrate competence flying an auto, but not a full down. That is needed for CFI-H (not even needed for CPL-H).

Personally I was lucky to have an instructor for a time who was happy to do full-downs but since I stopped flying with him, I have not done one. Most US schools etc REALLY do not want to do them. The outfit I currently fly helis with has one instructor (their chief pilot) who is willing to do them, though I haven't flown with him.

I regret it, because they're a real challenge and a lot of fun. But there it is.
The RAF taught and required EOLs to the ground. On the Whirlwind 10, students had to complete a 45 minute solo EOLs sortie as part of the basic rotary course (prior to wings standard). It was discontinued after the introduction of the Gazelle. Once the speed select was brought back with the flight idle stop out, it was prohibited to attempt to bring the turbine engine back into play. So you were committed to land one way or another. Same with the Gazelle, once the throttle was back, you were committed to a landing.