PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 14th Aug 2003, 09:40
D Rate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL you work for the media? Surely you must be journalist......

Read the quote in isolation, or put it in context, your choice. It might help you to read it completely to understand the intent.

I see this sorry scenario littering the landscape of GA.
So many people losing sight of the objective...
When those of us that spent time in remote areas, enduring the isolation, high cost of living, community issues look back and read our logbooks do we remember whether we earned $35.00 bucks or $3,500? No we remember the day the take off, any mishaps and the sheer magic feeling of being a pilot in command.

I spent numerous years in remote parts of Australia having given up two well paid professional careers, finally landing myself in GA. I must say I was suprised at the ferocious way people tried to get ahead. The swiftness of change, people purporting to be friends and then looking for the short cut, often at the expense of others...

I did never really work a day in GA. I did plenty of pushing brooms, helping the LAME's marketing the product, trying to build something sustainable. All of it directed at the logbook, building my hours in a sustainable way, all of it an investment in myself.
If I didn't get a job in the big end of town somebody would recognise my efforts. They did.
It WAS MY ATTITUDE, MY VALUES AND INTEGRITY THAT CLOUDED THE WAY I VIEWED MY CAREER, not the employer, not the industry, the IRC or anybody else.
Rise above it, transcend the percieved injustice.

So guys the challenge is internal not external. It's up to you.
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WAY YOU FEEL NOBODY ELSE. If aviation is distressing and I am sure there are plenty of sad tales out there, life is passing you by. Get out and be happy.

But if you still listen and look skyward to see what aircraft it is,
STICK WITH IT!!! AS NG said it beats working for a living!