PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JL-9G - Chinese Naval Trainer Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 16:45
NoHoverstop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be right that it's a catapult attachment point, but I don't think it is.

1. The Chinese do not have any catapult-equipped aircraft carriers. They might have them in mind, but are a long way off, so it seems odd to have a training aircraft ready now.

2. The towing bit, if it pivots down at all, would get nowhere near deck level. In my experience, the bit of the catapult that sticks above deck level, doesn't stick up very far.

3. The single nose-wheel, from my limited observation of catapult ops of nose-tow and bridle-launched aircraft, suggests it isn't the former*

4. As does the complete lack of a drag-link (or whatever it's called) between the nose-leg and fuselage. I suppose the Chinese may have put the world's stongest mounting at the top of the nose-leg, made the leg itself out of nano-tube reinforced unobtainium and have a ready-market for one-careful-owner bent nose-legs, but I think more probably there's another answer.

There are no really evident bridle pick-up points on the wings though. So it might be a naval trainer, but so was the Jetstream T2

Note the cat hook on the nose wheel