PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 225 Return to REAL Service
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 16:42
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by S92PAX
... "outrageous views of the ignorant" ...
is not going too far when you consider the social media campaigns and the misinformation in the press across the last few years. People who had never been near a helicopter were posting total rubbish on Facebook and then journalists were believing them. Then there was the sizeable group of people who have worked with helicopters for decades without bothering to learn anything about them.

Originally Posted by S92PAX
... I think the real problem with the Puma family is that it was hated before any of these accidents. The level of discomfort in the back is unreal, especially when this has to be endured for 2 to 3 hours. Only those that have endured this can understand the problems of getting up and trying to walk, especially if you are in the facing double seats on the starboard side. ...
Is it you that's been trying to steal my seat? Second row, starboard side, where I can see the instruments (and take control of the door release).

I have enjoyed my flying in Super Pumas. I felt a little less safe in some of the older ones with the smaller windows and dodgy liferaft stowage but since that won't be happening again I can happily feel some sense of history having flown in some of the original Tigers.

I am happy with the Super Puma 225. Here is why.
- It is a helicopter. "If it was meant to fly it would have wings." This is never going to be like getting in a A320.
- With hundreds of thousands of flight hours, much of it in a very demanding environment, across more than a decade, the 225 has had only one fatal accident that was not related to warlike operations. One fatal accident is one too many but nevertheless this is the best there is.
- Plenty large escape windows.
- Gearbox run-dry certification that people can believe.
- SS6 float certification.
- Smoooooooth.

I am aware that there are many thousands of people out there both in the offshore community and the SAR community who currently do not understand that there are helicopters that you cannot stand up in. Unfortunately, the Super Puma cabin height of 1.4m is normal for helicopters. A tall helicopter is not a good plan.

(By the way gasax, when I was last in a Chinook a few months ago, the guys thought I was nuts to describe it as quiet. None of them had ever been in a S-92.)