PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 16:02
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbubba:

The EGWPS would have been screaming OBSTACLE, OBSTACLE PULL UP! and/or TERRAIN, TERRAIN PULL UP! with some hard to ignore visual cues on the PFD on the planes I've flown. I realize there are many modes, revisions and database options but I can't see how any EGWPS in a Triple would not see those hills rapidly rising.
I don't know about the current EGPWS database, but when I was on a committee working RNP AR issues circa 2004-07, "peaks and obstacles" was a Honeywell option for the EGPWS. "Peaks" provided better point terrain resolutions and "Obstacles" provided tall buildings and antennas. If "peaks and obstacles" is still a database option, then EVA may not have had the Mt. Wilson antenna farm.

BTW, how do I get that Goggle Earth track file? I am not conversant with how to obtain the file.

I "flew" my Garmin trainer at 6,500 parallel to Mt. Wilson approximating the EVA track. The trainer has Garmin's actual database. It also has synthetic vision. All of the towers lit up like Christmas time, but the terrain did not. So, perhaps if EVA was level and flying parallel to Mt. Wilson there may have not been an EGPWS if the antennas weren't in the EGPWS database.