PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well after 800 hours of TW time I finally bolloxed it up
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 15:22
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piperboy, did you ever get your engine problem sorted?
Nope ! after 3 months in LA and multiple shop visits I ran out of time to get the wings off, containerized and shipped back to Scotland. No matter what I kept getting the 1 cylinder bottom plug oiled up when at low RPM. The last time I was at the engine shop we came to a deal (with the insurance agent on board) that I would run a fine wire plug in the bottom of Cyl. 1 for 8 hours and see if this higher burning plug finally "broke in" the cylinder and the foiling stopped. I wasn't optimistic but its a warranty type deal so I indulged them with the understanding that if after the 8 hours I had the same problem they'd put a new cylinder on. I ran it for 8 hours and it ran fine no roughness during run up etc, then put a new factory recommended Champion plug back in the problem came back, so all I had really done with the hotter burning plug was mask the problem I guess (treating the symptom not the cause). So when I head back to LA after new year its back in the shop for a new Cylinder. To be honest I wish I'd never had the damn thing inspected from the prop strike, I should have just pulled the old prop off and stuck a new one on myself, the shop tearing the 270 hours SNEW engine apart for inspection has created more problems than it solved.

I'm actually having second thoughts about having it shipped over now with all the hassle and instead just leave it in LA as there's a cracking old C180 for sale this side of the pond that I'm sorely tempted to go look at. I sure do miss my Scottish based Maule, kick myself everyday for crashing it.
Want to get up to more of this https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0IJtdOXmGoEIum

Last edited by piperboy84; 22nd Dec 2016 at 18:33.