PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 10:44
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Danny, I apologise for even suggesting that the Spitfire internals could be any less well done than the universally acknowledged externals. Porcelain handles? How very upmarket! Obviously it was the single exception to the default UK response of "We don't do ergonomics, mate!". Though not having been a single engined member of the two wing master race myself, I can appreciate that such attention to detail could be the difference between success and failure, triumph or defeat.

Your description of the simple yet effective means by which Spitfires (as against Seafires) could be launched from our carriers, in order to reinforce Malta during its siege, is an excellent example of the historical value of this thread. I now know that the Spitfire's flaps had but two positions, 0 and 60 degrees, but that military ingenuity provided for any once off intermediate position for Take Off merely by whittling wood blocks to the desired amount. Now a lot of people didn't know that (self included!), but they do now. Thanks Danny!

PS. CS, may I too echo Wander00's best wishes for your son's RAAF career. May it be long and very fulfilling!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 22nd Dec 2016 at 10:51. Reason: PS