PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 unreliable airspeed in cruise
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 09:51
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmanship always supercedes any Boeing QRH. There is no requirement to set these numbers if you are entirely satisfied with current and correct pitch and power after the failure and situational awareness is firmly intact.

Is that a personal opinion or a Boeing one? I'm not taking sides, but.....
I found it very frustrating in a TR course where the demo of unreliable airspeed scenario is always given during departure. The SFI has spent some energy beating into the cadets that 60%/6 is the standard for 220kts level flight as a starting datum. There you are on a SID in LHR TMA climbing 6000' when you notice there problem. You level 6000' and set parameters that have you climbing into the FL descending traffic. Now you have a problem and ATC has a problem. They need to get you out of the way, away from the SID/STARS and let you sort it out. Not always so easy as you are constantly climbing. In the sim it takes the guys 2-3000' to arrive at the QRH tables for level flight. Guess what? 60%/6.

There is talk on the CRJ crash thread about making a quick analysis of the 3 sets of instruments and make a choice which is correct. Sounds easy, but not allowed according to the strict adherence of QRH teaching in some airlines. No short cuts.
There is then the scenario of all 3 ASI's being wrong. What do you do then. A.N.C. The QRH takes quite a while to arrive at 'comparison' of ASI's and then the parameter tables. Total failure could bring confusion and in a panic perhaps the QRH memory figures are the best to keep you out of some trouble?

IMHO it would not help the matter if PF (captain) made up their own SOP in a critical situation and in doing so pushed the PM (young F/O) out of the loop. The PM would not know what was going on, most likely did not agree and you now have a discussion about what you're doing while you're doing it, with endless "yes, but...." coming from PM. Is that wise when the focus should be on solving the problem and saving the a/c? There could now be doubt in how much the PM could trust you.

There could also be a static problem. In the sim it is always a blocked pitot, yet in Peru it was blocked static, and that can be much more disorientating. I've never been given that scenario in 35 years. Waste of a simulator.
Murphy is alive and still out there.