PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 07:55
Iron Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you expect someone who have already committed the most basic errors and ignored the most basic of all regulations, to suddenly have the skill set and mental capacity to glide the aircraft without fuel.
I think the point is that even after all that - knowing that even if all went well they would arrive with dry tanks - nonetheless they seemed unprepared for actually running out of fuel, were apparently caught out by it, and look as if they handled it badly. They appear to have had no Plan B even though it was highly probable that they'd need it.

That's Denial with knobs on. Perhaps the Captain really was a very good handling pilot who, based on his overconfidence, decided his exceptional skills could increase the flight's profitability by overflying the refuelling stop, and then simply refused to believe it when they actually ran dry. [I don't really believe missing the stop was to avoid loss of face. The football team had already changed travel plans just to be able to use this airline. I don't think an additional stop would have been likely to put them off.]

It wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing has happened. Aerosucre could easily turn out to be something similar.

It appears to me that Lemme thinks the final report might not be entirely objective, and wishes to try to establish as disinterested and factual a narrative as he possibly can first, perhaps to hold some feet to the fire. That's understandable. I've read similar sentiments concerning Metrojet and Egyptair, among others, and I daresay some Aerosucre people at this moment might well be wondering how best to cover their backs.