PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holding at Brisbane
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 21:37
Cralis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holding at Brisbane

Hi all,

Yesterday, there was a bit of a lightning storm over Brisbane around 17h00, and it looked like it maybe passed right over YBBN. I enjoy taking a look at FlightRader a few times a day, and noticed a lot of aircraft circling. This one in particular seemed to be travelling about a bit.

Looked like he was initially going to 01, then told to go away for a bit (Technical term from a non-pilot), and then started another approach onto 19... then circle .. then go off to Moreton Island... and then come back. Would ATC have decided that?

I looked at the other aircraft, and most had been doing circles as well - none were going into Brisbane, but there were holding in different areas. One seemed to be close to Sunnybank, another over the bay.. and a few others further out.

I assume this was due to the lightning.

What's the danger with larger aircraft and lightning? I think there's been a couple of accidents due to lightning, but in general, it's pretty safe. Is that right? But because of a few issues, it's safer to wait for it to blow over?

Was there a wind direction change for this guy? Initially on for 01, and then they changed things up a bit?

And usually holding patterns look very neat. I saw a Qantas Link guy doing a lot of very square looking patterns all over the same place.. looked like one square, really. That was up closer to Sunshine Coast. Yet this guy seemed to be all over the place.

Are there holding areas around Brisbane? Or are you just told to hold there, with some form of instruction? Because there were guys all over the place. I'm assuming the ATC chaps get a bit busy at this point?

And for those neat holdings, is there a fix on the ground that you use to fly over, and then use timing to keep those patterns so neat?

Sorry for all the questions - just interested to see why this chap had a strange pattern, and how it all works here.

Thanks.