PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVA B777 close call departing LAX
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 16:29
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
Survival mode, she probably doesn't care as long as they turn southbound. I wonder why the crew hadn't entered survival mode just yet...

One little disconnect between pilots and controllers I can notice at times is the radar delay (lacking a more technical term for it). It's quite common for ATC to tell you to maintain heading whilst in the middle of a turn. The EVA crew is in the right turn south when they're getting a new instruction to turn left 270 deg. The autopilot is quite slow to react to such a change, and they were going quite fast. I guess the ADS-B plot is not updating accurately so it's hard to say what turn they actually did.

ATC and pilots a bit out of sync me thinks.
The surveillance displays often have track jitter - if the track shown is from one radar, or if the multisensor tracker is putting together surveillance responses from different sources. These are filtered with a Kalman Filter that 'smooths' the jitter but also has the unfortunate effect of hiding the start of a maneuver. So it is possible to start a turn and for several seconds dependent on update rate the controller will not see the start of turn the filter will create a response without the 'jitter' caused by the start of turn. If the update rate is every 10 seconds and the smoothing lasts for 2 updates it could be 20 -29secs before the turn is observed. A long time if urgent avoiding action has been given.