PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 unreliable airspeed in cruise
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 11:54
PPRuNeUser0190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I would say, "No, there's a checklist for this", and "Maybe 2.5 degrees and 85% is correct, but will doing that improve safety? No? So let's follow the checklist.". If that didn't work it would be "Taking Over", and set the attitude and thrust from the QRH memory items.

Once the memory items are complete, we can reference the remainder of the checklist, and have a discussion about whether the Captain would like to resume being a Captain.
OK, i'll give you a scenario:
- Daylight CAVOK
- FL370 for the last hour

Pitch and thrust have remained the same for the last hour. You get a warning: "Airspeed disagree". The aircraft does not change pitch & thrust.

You look and see that the ASI are:
- PF: 253kts
- SBY: 250kts
- PM: 45kts

After crew agreement, the crew realizes that it's pretty obvious what is going on and just remains at the known pitch settings while doing the checklist...

Now, if you would be my copilot on that day and you don't agree with this. Then sure, we'll do the memory items. That would fall under the "not immediately obvious case" (at least for 1 pilot). I agree with you that the last thing you want is a flight deck where 1 of the pilots is lost.

Anyway, scenario 2: During descent (IMC), you hear a bang. 10 seconds later you get "Airspeed unreliable". The A/P starts pitching down. You decide together that you do the memory items...