PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 11:33
Danny42C

MPN11 (#9868),

Strangely, the Spitfire cockpit was the most ergonomic one I ever flew in (the result, I suppose, of its having been designed by one man [and he a genius] instead of by a gaggle of know-alls in A.M).

But canopies were always a source of trouble (I well remember the sense of luxury I felt when meeting my first electrically powered one - a P-47 Thunderbolt). What happened when the power failed ? Dunno.

IIRC, the Vampire's canopy frame was locked to the structure by explosive bolts; in extremis you pressed a button somewhere and the whole lot blew off. Or have I just dreamt that ? (Hard to tell these days !)

Supposing that to be true, it is a pity that the Lancaster's enormous "glasshouse" hadn't (AFAIK) a means of jettisoning when 'abandoning ship', as the enormous main spar made it hard for the four occupants of the front office, encumbered by their flying kit and with the aircraft going every which way, to get to the exits in time. But I speak with scant knowledge of this, never having flown in one.

Now my diary tells me "winter begins". Oh, woe !

Danny.