PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maurice Kirk is in Africa
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2016, 07:25
terry holloway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Sata
I would like to nominate him Terry but would not want to appear to have an agenda proposing him against TCT.

Maurice has a track record of opposing the rules,authority and not giving up when others would walk away.

His predicament in South Sudan is a classic example.

He got himself and the aircraft out when many predicted it was the end.

His attitude to life has been on his terms.

I respect him for that.

(I should perhaps say my support stops at any sort of direct involvment which history suggests problems to say the least!)

How a formal proposal for such an award leaves me scratching my head. When I suggested to Peter Benn at the HCAP that Lachlan Smart might be worth a Masters Medal for his record breaking solo flight around the world it involved a complicated submission that I walked away from.

TCT got one of the back of a PR company.

What and how would a citation for Kirk entail?
It would require around 500 to 1000 words outlining what he has achieved in the field of aviation as a pilot, with a particular emphasis on the encouragement of others either into a career in aviation or by promoting aviation to the public at large through his personal endeavours, and through positive publicity in the media.
The question for the awards committee would be whether the "positives" outweigh all the negative stuff - of which there is plenty. I personally have a regard for his stick and rudder skills and his tenacity.