PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An old pilot returns to the fold. A ramble from the past
Old 20th Dec 2016, 15:23
ElderlyGent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ElderlyGent and MY SECOND FIRST SOLO yes that's right.

Perhaps I should shorten my moniker to E.G

The years had moved on, the hands of time circling the clock had now let me get the business running at an acceptable rate of profit, so this let the flying virus stir out of hibernation and start twitching the memory neurons (if that's the right word).

It is now 1974 and spring is in the air, and I just want to spring into the air myself. So off I trot to the local flying club,
This time round I have to buy those necessary bits. The chart, the circular slide rule (Computer) and books on everythig pertaining to the PPL sylabus.
But let's not get too far ahead. The 'ab initio' flight is calling. The instructor and I walk out to a Cssna 150. After a quick walk round we climb aboard, This is my first time in a tricycle undercart plane. My, but the view forward is impressive after the memories of a tail dragger. I can see where I am going.
As I am more of a passenger this time I sit and listen to what he is both saying and doing. Gosh! will I rmember all this. The radio crackles with the clearance. You are cleared to leave the zone at such and such a point, not above 1500 feet, QNH this and QFE that.

We taxi along and arive at the holding point. More checks then the 'cleared to take off' . Pull onto the runway and off we go.

'Right' the instructor says, 'Hands on the yoke and just follow me through'. I do and feel the slight vibration, This thing is alive. The ground drops away and we are flying.
We leave the zone and he demonstrates all the basics. I try to fly just straight and level. when I trim out she is really flying herself. This is much easier than that old J4. Then doing turns and decents at which I find difficult to try to keep the nose on the horizon in a turn, But he assures me it will come with practice.
Lets do a stall. OK. We do it and it is not too terrifying. He smiles, and I could almost read his mind. He was thinking, does this chap really want to fly. OK for a spin ? Sure I say through gritted teeth,
flippin' heck!!! Can I learn to do that. Well I will just have to if I want that PPL.
Time flies by and it is time to return. After landing we go back to the club house, 'Still want to fly?'' has asks. Damn right I do.

My log book tells me that afterr 8 hours dual he says I am ready to go solo. Yikes, so soon.
Just a single circuit. Ah! I did that years ago, I wonder if the same will happen, Will we just float along over the runway.
How different being told what to do over a radio. So I trundle to the holding point and wait. Checks complete and I am cleared to take off.
I line up, then the nerves took over and I hesitate just long enough for th tower to remind me that I AM cleared to take off. That brought me back to reality PDQ, so full power and to heck with it, I am going flying on my own.
Up we go, positive rate of climb, temps and pressures all OK. Turn onto cross wind, turn downwind and do the BUMPFFGH stuff and relax. I then notice that we are drifting a bit away from the runway. This is a reminder that the clearance mentioned a cross wind of,,,,what the heck was it. Glance down to the pad. Sheesh! thats a good deal off and from the left so it will be from the right on final.
Call on final and cleared to land. Made it a nice long final so had time to get lined up well before the threshold. Hmm!! the nose is pointing a bit to the right but the track is nice.
Getting nearer and nearer, OK Now a touch of right hand down and a tiny bit on the rudder to keep the ball in the midle of the turn and slip indicator. Flare, level up and down she goes. Just a single not to obvious bounce but solid enough.
Back to the flight line, and shut everything down. This time it is smiles all round, I have made it.
That's it for now. but the PPL flight was....Ha gotcha now.