PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - looking for aviation program
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2016, 03:05
NGFellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of good Universities in the United States with an aviation program and I am sure in Canada as well. Before you invest in an aviation career, make sure you meet all the medical requirements for a Class I medical and take a psychometric/aptitude test through your school to make sure your interests and strengths line up. Oh by the way, medical standards in Asia are very tough compared to the West. Make sure you can pass!

You have several choices:

1. You can go to an aviation university such as UND, ERAU and do your flying there and get your degree as well. Good reputation, networking etc but very expensive.
2. You can go to a non-aviation university and get a degree in something else and do your flying elsewhere. Sometimes a good choice if you want to branch out or leave the industry for any reason.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option. However, make sure you pick a reputable flight school with a formal program. I would shy away from doing your flight training elsewhere. Canada has some pretty good options.

For a degree program and all your flying you are probably looking at $200,000. Probably more if you are a foreign student paying international fees.

I think if you are looking at Asia it will help to have your degrees from known colleges and flight training as well. Lots of opportunities in Asia as a Captain with experience but as a low time pilot mainly if you are a local.

Good luck.