PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2016, 12:07
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Danny: Rupert Parkhouse is still alive, we shall post his picture shortly, but he is no longer able to remember these events. He mentions his stammer in our first post #9775 when he recalls Cranwell entry:
“It was rather intimidating, and I stammered badly, but I passed”
and while transcribing the recordings I found it quite moving to hear his stammer returning when he recalls stressful events 45 years later, such as the terrifying experience of being trapped in a burning aircraft.

I too thought of AF447 when Rupert described his ASI icing up, until I remembered his photo of the Link Trainer and his later description of his “awful mistake” which seems to have blighted his flying career. The summer of 1940 was very warm as he will recall when he describes his escape attempts following his belly-landing, say at least 22 deg C. Given a lapse rate of 2deg per 1000ft, the temperature at 8000ft would have been around 6deg so icing was unlikely. Remember that he had only 218 hours' experience; in the stress of his first attack I think he became disorientated in cloud, failed to check his horizon and stalled his loaded aircraft.

For those who wish to hear the account of a very brave and honest man, his recordings can be heard at Parkhouse, Rupert Charles Langridge (Oral history) (15476)
More tomorrow.