PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPC/Blast worm virus
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2003, 01:12
amanoffewwords

'nough said

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny thing is that Microsoft specifically exclude WinME. They do not mention Win98SE at all, even though there are lots still out there.
That's probably because they ceased support on Win 98 end June (I imagine that's for all flavours of Win 98).

I'm just back from setting up a laptop for a customer - 2 mins into showing her how to dial up the Internet - bang got the 60 second warning of reboot. Problem is if do not have the patch with you it prevents you getting back on the net to download it - and it disabled NAV (Norton Anti-Virus) and DUN (dial-up) properties so I couldn't set the firewall.

Managed to get round it by disabling all RPCs services, then downloading the patch from M$, disabling messenger services, activating the firewall, updating NAV and then checking my customer's blood pressure though by then she had had enough of her first experience with computers, switched it off, signed the sheet and sent me on my way.

When they catch the guy/girl who started this he/she's a getting an invoice for my time...with the appropriate supplements...

amofw