PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 18th Dec 2016, 20:42
MartinM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lemme
No, and I can't imagine a case of where it ever would. But I will say that having ADS-B data from surrounding flights, and from preceding flights, is an added dimension. On EK521, for example, I could watch the tail-wind shear evolve on each successive plane on the approach. I could compare the Pence plane path in space to those ahead of it.

But what if we don't recover the recorders?
MH370. All we have are a handful of indirect position estimates.

Or what if it takes nearly two years to recover the recorders?
AF447 made a lot of hay over a handful of ACARS messages that implicated air data faults.

MS804 ADS-B data was catastrophic, and an ACARS message showed smoke. Six months later forensics are describing evidence of explosives.

We started flight data recording over 50 years ago with altitude, airspeed, heading, and vertical accelerations as a function of time. That is about where we are with ADS-B telemetry, and I foresee a chance to build out an acceptable data set.
AF447 had very usefull ACARS messages from the start. No one believed them until the day of the report came out.

I don't remember that short haul aircrafts, like the RJ100 are zrasnmitting ACARS. I never heard of it. As such I. an be very wrong, i admit.