PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 18th Dec 2016, 20:42
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But I was sure that all previous convictions and illegal acts were subject to an amnesty as a result of the GFA.
Convictions only.
It wasn't an amnesty it was Parole under license as witnessed by my comment on Michael Stone who was recalled to serve out his term.

One more point though, are any former or current members of any of the terrorist organizations connected with Northern Ireland being pursued with a view to possible trial for murder and terrorism?
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...ml#post9612702

Yup I posted that at Post 27 where gave 3 examples of arrests.

Also, I notice that you view all acts of violence on the part of various republican groups as a reaction to provocation by acts of violence by either the UDA, UVF or Security Services and Army. Can it not be seen th other way round? rather than heaping responsibility on to the shoulders of the British Authorities or unionist terrorists?
Nope
What I posted was consequences of actions.

In the case of McCann if it was a set up to eliminate him then the result was the shooting of 5 soldiers, 3 of whom died.
So if it was your son who was one of the 3, would you be happy to find that McCann killing was part of an operation to move a spy further up OIRA network and it was designed to eliminate McCann.

In relation to Stone, his actions in a cemetry are a direct cause of the 2 Corporals deaths. Loyalists were full of informers and he was a known killer (15-20 is guesstimate) so was he just "allowed" to get on with it with a blind eye turned.

I have used 2 examples where actions / reactions ultimately caused deaths of soldiers.