PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2016, 16:32
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olton Pete

I can only echo your comments about Friday Nights events. I too am unqualified to comment. I only very intermittently looked at FR24 to get an idea of what was happening at about 22.00 (See my previous post 16/12/2016).

Thanks to Jon01 for his explanation of events. I have used the Airport as a passenger 20-30 times over the last 30 years (not the last 18 I might add) and I feel as a professional,(not a Pilot or infrastructural Engineer) that technical infrastructure support and development at this facility (amongst others I might add ), has not kept place with the increasing demands placed upon the facility. All credit without reservation, to everyone involved for maintaining a safe outcome.

The lengthening of the Runway and BHX's geographical location: as well as the weather (poorly forecast) and the total UK Air traffic load; make situations where those holes in the Cheddar, line up; more likely. Think about Jan and Feb to come.

Friday 16th was a warning: The prolonged loss of the ILS at the 33 end may have made things a lot worse.Operational input by someone better informed than me is needed here.

It's legitimate to ask if the timing and scale of the remedial work was [unduly] influenced by commercial income to the Airport company.

The "Lessons will be learned platitudes" seem to be inadequate in the circumstances.