PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap flying schools?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2016, 13:37
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least be working with aircraft and around great people which works just as well for me.
If you want to be in the aviation business, the very most important part of that is to be where airplanes and aviation people are. It is very difficult to advance yourself in an industry, when you're not there!

The worst is that you are at the airport for a few hours, and must occupy yourself reading old aviation magazines. Measure carefully the balance of being around and helpful, without becoming "overly present". Establish yourself as being trustworthy in whatever security environment might exist, so that your being on the apron when not flying is not concerning to anyone. If you see an owner you recognize passing through the clubhouse on the way to their 'plane, offer to carry something for them, and ask if you can watch them do their walkaround inspection to learn from them. Allow yourself to become known as the pleasant young enthusiast who is always willing to lend a hand.

For myself, if a young eager student pilot were to offer to wash and wax one of my 'planes, I would happily share a few hours flying with them. It does not work for me, as I keep my 'planes at home, not at an airport, so there is never anyone else around here. But I know that there are owners whose 'planes are at airports, who need them washed too!