PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap flying schools?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2016, 10:19
lukeh08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
Hi Luke,

It sounds like you've given this lots of thought, and that's excellent. Bear in mind, that when you fly a certified plane, you are at the end point of the efforts of many aviation professionals, and regulatory structure and compliance. Many people would say "too much", including me, (and I'm a part of it). But, that's the way it is, unless someone changes many regulations.

The maintenance requirements for the aircraft, including recurring and out of phase inspections, consumables, the management of the flying school, insurance, and many other costs affect what you are asked to pay for the use of that 'plane.

You expect to be fairly paid for the work you do, and so do the many people who work to provide the 'plane you want to fly. for my experience (40 years in GA), few people are getting rich at it, most GA people make a fair living. It would be difficult for you to face any of those aviation professionals and ask them to work for less. So "cheap" 'planes and instruction are not a deal. If you're flying one, something you would like to have, may be missing, or diminished.

You will find that the 'plane is the expensive part, and the instructor is less so. Value an experienced and mentoring instructor, and pay them what they're worth to you. When you pay a restaurant server, you may even tip them, paying them in excess of what they're normally paid. Instructors probably don't regularly receive tips.

Your success as a pilot, and indeed your attractiveness to an aviation employer, will in part be your experience, and wisdom (decisions making skills). That comes from competent, experienced instruction, and your pursuit of building experience (as opposed to just "hour building"). Some of the best, and most valued instruction I have received was with pilots with more than 20,000 hours flying in the real world. Such instructors, if you can find them, are worth what they cost - whatever it is. Such pilots rarely work for "basic" pay.

Aviation people know what costs are, and understand that young people have more difficulty affording costly training, but your youth and eagerness do not make the costs to operate the aircraft, and pay the staff any less. What you will probably find, as I did as a 16 year old student a long time ago, is that if you are "around" the flying club, and are a pleasant person, other more experienced members and pilots might take you under their wing. Airplane owners are often eager for a hand with washing and waxing their 'planes (particularly the icky belly). Take some coveralls, and offer to help, you will probably be pleased with the reward of an appreciative owner.

Offer to cut grass, pump fuel, wash windows at the flying club, make yourself known as a person who will do that little extra - you'll get it back in flying. And, you'll be off to the important start in aviation of distinguishing yourself by working harder, and paying it forward. I did, and worked better than I could have imagined.

A difference I see, between "now", and when I was a student 40 years ago, is the internet - it did not exist then! So student pilots actually spent non flying time at the airport. Foul day? Lesson over? Still at the airport, talking to other pilots, learning, getting known and networking. Now, I go to the flying club, and the place is deserted. I see students taking instruction, but non just hanging around. You meet pilots, and talk airplanes at an airport - be there! Yes, you can chat flying here too, and maybe make a contact, but person to person is still better!

Be shrewd with your money, but seeking "cheap" in aviation may not ultimately get you where you want to be. And, when you want "free", ask questions here! Some posters who will answer your questions are incredibly experienced and wise.

'Best of luck Luke....
Thanks , that was very detailed and useful advice. If I where to ask my Instructor next time I go up if I would be able to come down on weekends and help out for a few hours , do you think I'd be allowed?

I mean although I wouldn't be flying I'd at least be working with aircraft and around great people which works just as well for me.

Luke.