PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 17th Dec 2016, 22:26
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Much useful info here. In my case I need +1.75 correction for distance, +3.25 for reading/close up and -0.75 astigmatism correction. When I first needed glasses my prescription was a little less than this but not much. I tried varifocals but really couldn't get on with them. The distortion of everything through them and the way it changed as I move about made me feel a bit sea sick. I make small mechanical stuff by hand in my work and I can't manage the distortion and size change you get when you tilt your head. Straight lines become curved, right angles might be more than 90 deg or less than 90 deg and trying to use the microscope was a non starter with them on. I also never got used to having to point your face directly at something and nod the right amount to get it in focus. Peripheral vision was crap, my eyes naturally see a very wide field of view. I tried to get used to them for a few weeks but was un-nerved when driving and when I flew, with a safety pilot, just didn't feel safe. My landings were totally off with loss of peripheral vision.

My solution is contact lenses. As a single lens can only correct two aspects from the distance/close up/astigmatism I have settled on one lens (for one eye) for close up with astigmatism correction and one lens (for the other eye) for distance with astigmatism correction. I don't have any motion/distortion sea sickness issues, stuff I work on has straight straights and square right angles and I can use the microscope OK. My peripheral vision is like a wide screen cinema view again. It did take a short while to get used to most things being only in sharp focus in one eye but your brain sorts that out quite quickly. I can even use my old non prescription Ray Bans. I also don't spend half my life trying to find my glasses. Win win.