PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An old pilot returns to the fold. A ramble from the past
Old 17th Dec 2016, 16:40
Danny42C

ElderlyGent,

Welcome aboard PPRuNe ! I'm a very occasional visitor to this Forum, being tempted by the ongoing saga of Miss Tracey Curtis-Taylor (on this Thread), an unbelievable tale which is worth reading from the beginning (if you have a month or two to spare).

But my spiritual home is on Military Aviation Forum, in particular a Thread called: "Gaining a R.A.F. Pilot's Brevet in WWII". Do not be put off by the seemingly exclusive title. There you will find a host of Elderly Gents (and some Ladies), many military pilots, many civil ones, many both, many other aircrew, ground crew, and just about everybody with an active interest in the flying game.

Come on in - the water's fine !

Now my recollections of Florida are 75 years old, so I can do little to advise. But I envy you your bolt-hole in the sun ! As a 19 year old I went out under the Arnold Scheme (whereby the US Army Air Corps trained RAF pilots even when the US was still neutral). Did my first 60 hrs in a Stearman (without an ASI !), flew by attitude and feel alone, thought all aircraft flown like that !

We were over on the Gulf side, place called Arcadia, just inland from Sarasota, believe many of our pensioners have retired there.

Looking forward to seeing you on "Pilot's Brevet!",

Even more Elderly Gent,

Danny42C.