PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amazon drone delivery
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2016, 14:25
TelsBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abgd,

I'm not sure the solution to the issues is as simple as a bit of lobbying on the legals and the boffins writing some software to stop anything serious happening.

An aircraft is an aircraft and is subject to operation under the ANO, whether it's flying at double decker bus height or at 80000 feet. Whether is Amazon operating the aircraft or Johnny Bloggs down the road at number 23 is immaterial. The ANO still applies.

Any operator of an aircraft needs to have a basic understanding of how the machine operates, to operate it safely and to know what to do when things don't go to plan. It's not like jumping into Aunty Nelly's Ford Mondeo and popping down the shops for the bread and milk.

My primary concern is how these machines will fit in with other aircraft and as part of the wider ATM system. So far no one has been able to satisfactorily demonstrate this which gives me much cause for concern.

With any aircraft, the pilot in command has the legal responsibility and the buck stops with him or her. Who carries this responsibility in the operation of these drones, especially if they are automated?

As I say, far too many questions, a deafening silence of answers.