PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An old pilot returns to the fold. A ramble from the past
Old 17th Dec 2016, 13:39
ElderlyGent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An old pilot returns to the fold. A ramble from the past

Hello all,

It is true that the flying bug virus once in the system never leaves it. It may lie dormant for years but it still there lurking, just waiting for an opportunity to strike. In my case it did.

But just a bit of background first. After a spell in HM Forces I went to Southampton to visit the AirTrainging Services as it was then known, as I had seen an advert that was asking for ALTP students. Hindsight tells me that I should have bitten the bullet and carried on with it. but it was just too regimented for me.
So instead I went to my local airfield and started flying there. I flew Tiger Moths and Auster J4s. Got to solo but then had to earn a living so it was put on hold. That was in the late 1950s. Being an entrepeneur I had started my own business and it took all my time. and money so it took me until the mid 1970s to get free enough to take up flying again.

So during the next 5 years I did it all. Radio, ppl, night, IMC, and IR. During that time I owned a Slinsby Nipper, a Minicab (Tail dragger) , A Falco, a Gruman and lastly a Beech Bonanza V tail. The Bonanza I upgraded to full airways. This was the perfect aeroplane for me.
However during the recession flying became just too expensive remembering that I had a business to run, so I had to stop flying.

But now. Ah the difference. We. that is my wife and I are now (fairly recently\ Snow Birds. We have a property in Florida, and so avoid the UK winters. There is a local airoprt that has a very good school as far as I can ascertain, and seem to welcome us BRITS, presumably as long as we can pay.

So what I hope to do is this. In a couple of weeks I have to have a cataracat removed and as soon as that is settled and checked out we will be off to Florida, taking all my licences with me. OK they are now well out of date, but it proves that I am not a beginner. I want to do one of their Introduction flgihts but get the Instructor to take me through all the basic stuff to see if I can remember how I did it. muscle memory etc.

This visit to Florida will only be for a couple of months this time, things beyond my control stopped us going earlier.
IF, and I say IF it all goes well then I might do a refresher course say up to ppl again. but that is something to be decided later. Or even some extra hours as a 'pretend' student to get the skills back for personal satisfaction if nothing else.
I have 650 odd hours P1 and a further 300 accrued when I did flights with a very good friend, We did leg and leg with one flying and the other doing radio and navigation.

Normally we go the Florida for about 5 months, so the flying time will not be a problem.
So in realty for now I would just be someone out for a jolly, just hiring a plane for an hour or two with someone else in charge. That way it will tell me IF the virus is as deep seated as I think it is.

Just a final point, I see that the oldest pilot is now 96. I am trying to catch up. You may have guessed my age from this ramble, but I admit to 85.
I should have used my nickname 'Chipper and Sprightly' Durn.

Have fun out there.