PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 17th Dec 2016, 13:03
Out Of Trim

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Murder or Execution or Attempted Arrest of a known terrorist who was usually armed that went wrong. I don't know.

I wasn't there!

In a War, combatants on both sides get shot at. Just because this was a civil war doesn't change that sometime you have to defend yourself in battle. ie. Shoot first before they shoot you! The rules of engagement meant that these troops had one hand tied behind their back. Do you get shot while waiting until the ROE allow or take the shot in the hope you survive. A difficult call for anyone!

It seems strange that there was never an officer around when this was going on. Keeping there heads down probably.. REMFs would appear to apply.

Then 44 years later you may face prosecution by your own Country because an enemy that had already killed some of your colleagues had died. This is not murder in my opinion and should not be brought before a civil court. This stinks and I'm glad That neither I or .prOOne. were ever put in this position.

Just lucky I guess..

I wouldn't join again either, knowing that you would be hung out to dry by your own Government. Disloyalty by the Establishment like this will be remembered and will have far reaching effects in the future.

Last edited by Out Of Trim; 18th Dec 2016 at 11:28.