PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2016, 06:19
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by framer
I can't believe there were not enough qualified people in Australia to become dash 8 f/o's that 457 visa's have been used
Originally Posted by fixed it for you
I can't believe there were not enough qualified dash 8 f/o's (in Australia) that 457 visa's have to be used
See the subtlety? Qualified dash 8 f/o's are in short supply. Of course they are in short supply, because very few can afford to do a speculative endorsement without the reasonable prospect of a job. Hence there is rarely a large pool of qualified and current individuals sitting around just waiting for a job to pop up.

Importing labour is a "two-fa" for an employer. It increase the supply, driving down price and it creates a visa holder beholden to their sponsor with a compliant and acquiescent attitude. In short, it magnifies the power over employees as a job loss means no visa.

I'm sure some employers would love to have their entire workforce on 457's. By specifying the EXACT qualification &/or recency/experience required means the available pool of Australian's available who meet the criteria is very small, therefore justifying employing 457's.

Not saying this is the case here, just musing about hypothetical possibilities.