PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 13th Aug 2003, 22:17
jon.pierre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My two bob worth...

Or are you saying that people who carry 15 PAX rather than 150, are less professional than yourself.
GMGU, it sounds like that is exactly what SJ is saying and my own opinion would agree.
You can't convince me that a freshly trained CPL has the skill level commensurate with the level of payment that you suggest. I would in fact suggest that the CPL is only a licence to learn.
But remarkably; the exact same award that that protects the salaries of pilots flying for the major carriers is also, the exact same award that SJ, NG and others are arguing as unreasonable here. As Perpetual as pointed out above, the award recognises the difference in skill, professionalism, expectation placed on pilots in all levels of flying and specifies the fair and reasonable remuneration for it.

More over it is written to protect workers rights of job security, leave from duties (both recreational and sick leave), and also to enforce on employers obligations for taxpaying society in the event staff terminations.
… plenty of my friends were earning ****** all during the administration of the AN group of companies. Did it change their attitude....you bet it didn't those guys are professional. Any commercial pilot with an appreciation of commercial and economic relaity understands the objective of commercial aviation is to come back and do it tomorrow.
“Tut tut” SJ! I think you owe your friends and the other AN staff, that worked so hard and gave so much to save it, a remorseful apology. Don’t cheapen what they did. As I recall, they were seen as hero’s for standing up when it was said AN could not otherwise afford to survive and agreeing to give up salaries and conditions they deserve to protect the airline. They extended themselves for an extenuating cause.

But, what you and your peers have argued here, is that it be fair and reasonable for a employer to EXPECT such sacrifice of staff as standard all of the time. That is not a heroic situation, but exploitation. Perhaps companies that can afford advertising stunts like sponsoring "ladies fashions" at the races, but cries cannot afford fair workplace agreements, needs to rethink its priorities.

GMGU, the Lake Evella findings are very poignant (and I those against you chose to ignored it) and employers who ignore it do so with tremendous risk. I don’t think any one would argue, that should a guide chose to take more tourists to swim at Crocs’ Hollow (I think it was called), they’d be a damnable fool, deserving of all the charges and litigation that could possibly be served.

Why can't the numbers work HA, others in DN can… or at least thinks thier staff worthy of trying.