PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have a link to the infamous Cranwell F4 flypast?
Old 16th Dec 2016, 21:55
RAFEngO74to09

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I missed seeing the action on the day as I was clearing in Clothing Stores prior to posting on promotion as a fast-jet SEngO - but I could recognize the noise inside the East Camp building as coming from a fast-jet flying way too low above inhabited buildings.

I subsequently saw the video showing the more dangerous situation that BEagle referred to whilst attending the Flying Supervisors Course at MOD Inspectorate of Flight Safety (RAF) a few months later. When I joined the staff of MOD IFS (RAF) 3 years later, it was still being shown as an example of irresponsible behavior. Selection of full burner certainly seemed to make the difference between hitting CHOM / the Parade Square or not and it was an extremely close thing - sinking lower than the example in the video posted here.

Having been a JEngO in RAFG - and an OC Armament on a number of Akrotiri APCs - I had seen a number of Phantom last flight on sqn / last flight of career beat-ups over HAS sites / dispersals - all were executed in an exciting and competent manner !