PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2016, 20:41
Danny42C

Geriaviator (pp Rupert Parkhouse RIP),
...German tanks which were approaching Le Havre from 8000ft...
Hope they were on Quadrantals !
...I thought I'm going to be the butt if I was the only one to bring my bombs back...
We worried about our Fusing Links. Again an excerpt from my earlier Posts:
...but it brings us to the point. If you return the bomb switches to "safe" after dropping your bombs, the solenoids withdraw, the links fall out and are lost. Why should that matter?
Because, if you come back with no links, there is at least a possibility (worse, even suspicion) that you have stupidly "bombed safe". With your links "all present and correct", you're in the clear. Also, you don't need new links for the next lot of bombs (there may even have been a shortage of links - it's exactly the sort of small, cheap, insignificant thing we would be short of), and it's one less job for the armourers. Leave the links in (and bomb switches "live")...
but that could have serious consequences......(another story, not relevant).
...I must say there was an intense feeling of joy that one had got the first operation over...
My thoughts ("Brevet" page 134 #2663):
...Climbing down, I felt a tinge of self-satisfaction. I'd done my first "op". I'd struck a blow for King and country in return for their two years' investment in my training. From now on it would be payback time...
Keep 'em coming, Geriaviator !

Danny.

PS: For those who have not seen it, and who want a good laugh, read Geriaviator's Post p.178 #3558:

"THE CHURCH PARADE: or the innocents wronged"
(Best to read: p.176 #3518 " With approval of our CO (and born survivor^^) Danny ... chocks away for Aden 1951! " - as a lead-in to the above).

and

on p.169 #3370, more pictures: 142 Sqn (Battles) in France, 1939.

D.