PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former Paras prosecuted for Murder in 1974
Old 16th Dec 2016, 20:26
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are they being prosecuted now, what is it 42 years or 44 after the event?
People are rightly concerned that IRA and UVF have been convicted for murder but freed on license under the terms of the GFA. Bringing new prosecutions just doesn't make sense really, anymore.
We should be drawing a line under this; all this will bring is a reopening of old bitter memories for everyone.
In the UK we seem to be in cycle now of constantly investigating and prosecuting only Other Ranks to dates and actions selected in a most curious manner. But conversely Officers even at low level seem to be avoiding prosecution. No Senior officers ever seem to be prosecuted for the alleged actions of their men. That's the impression I take from the press. It must be having a deeply corrosive effect.
All of this will be massively damaging to execution of future operations, in fact it is utterly disastrous.
We aint arf making blunder after blunder these days.
I wouldn't join now, and if I was in would be actively seeking a way out. Make one mistake, or even be traced to be seen to have served in theatre in the future could lead to years of uncertainty.
I expect bomber pilots now, UAV operators now will be held up to account for their actions in many of the places they have bombed in the years ahead, mark my words well. You will be tossed aside when you have served you masters, its the British way.