PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 13th Aug 2003, 21:48
Continental-520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of you have no idea as to how many people there are out there who, in fact, have ALSO worked hard to finance and attain their CPL and would give absolutely everything they have for jobs that we presently hold, regardless of pay or conditions, which comes back to the "rich kids coming in and offering to work for free" scenario.

I have so many mates back in town who would give SO much to be in my position, despite having been paid well under award up until recently. And no, they don't go around telling CP's they'll work for free. They are very eager, keen and enthusiastic though, and will fully deserve their go when they get it.

So, next time you feel like having a whinge about whatever exploitation you think you're being subjected to, just remember:

1) If it's that bad, get out. Get into something you actually enjoy doing and will thrive in, for everyone's sake.

2) Give your job to someone who actually passionately wants it, since you don't.

3) Your employer would LOVE to see you flying 30 hours per week and would also LOVE to pay you ABOVE award, but you know what? They CAN'T! Yes, they have employed you to fly, and therefore they want you to fly as MUCH as you legally can. If there's no work though, there's no work. Refer back to point #1.

Need some inspiration?

Well, try seeing things as if it was all you. Your business. Your bread and butter. Your equipment. Start thinking of ways to generate business next time you're sweeping the hangar floor or sanding corrosion out of airframe panels. The company has given you the privilege of working under the AOC, so go out there and take advantage of that. Some of you will be very surprised, I suspect...