PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have a link to the infamous Cranwell F4 flypast?
Old 16th Dec 2016, 15:05
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
It was certainly a most interesting day to graduate. IIRC, it was the 3rd pass - the one Beagle describes above - which took most of the hats off & blew a couple of people (me included) out of line. Someone did say that one chap was blown off his feet but I didn't see that.

Our gallant Flight Sergeant had to invent a wonderful new dill move called "re-positioning the parade commander's (Mark someone?) hat on his head". He slammed it on so hard it covered said parade commander's eyes and I had to offer verbal commands of "left a bit, right a bit" to him as we slow-marched off so he could walk up the steps.

Everyone was in fits of laughter but I don't think Tommy was laughing when he landed. The Reviewing Officer (can't remember his name?) stormed off the parade ground and hit the phone - the story goes that the Conningsby Staish was waiting for Tommy when he landed and that - as they say - was the end of that! I got to Finningley a few months later and Tommy was OC LLTS. Jolly nice chap too - though the flypast was never-ever mentioned.