PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2016, 15:04
p_factor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

I've had my FAA PPL and IR and kept flying off and on over the years. I have just about enough time to get my commercial certificate issued which Im planning to go for in March next year. Im seeking to get some info on what the environment would be like for me in Australia.

I am 30 years old and work as a university lecturer (master's degree holder) in a non aviation field and really enjoy working with students. I have worked with adult learners for over 5 years and done a fair bit of humanitarian work in asia. I do believe I will be able to enjoy being a flight instructor and make the experience enjoyable for people who want to earn their flying credentials.

I understand I would need to convert my flying licenses and get a CASA medical, for which all of the relevant info is here on PPRUNE.

My questions are:
- does a fair bit of social work experience with a flying gig in NT/WA? Are there any humanitarian flying services out there?

- is it advisable to go for an FAA instructor rating or start out with CASA altogether?

- besides AFAP and PPRUNE, any other sources for good info I can look into?

- in the US places like AllATPs run an airline pilot training program: get your instructor ratings and you can fly for them till you hit 1500 hours. Are there any such programs in Australia?

- how is the job market for flight instructors in AU/NZ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by p_factor; 16th Dec 2016 at 21:00.