PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet goes down on its way to Medellin, Colombia
Old 16th Dec 2016, 11:48
jess15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noflynomore
Do we know who was on the jump seat? Surely the third pilot rather than the engineer? His remarks seem to me to be based on observation from the cabin rather than the flight deck but it isn't too clear.

Once again poor translation and incorrect usage of English is muddying the waters. He was an aircraft engineer, not a flight engineer. For the benefit of those (many) here not au fait with aviation terminology this means he was ground maintenance personnel. NOT flight crew.
I think I've pasted "flight technician" with anything I've posted about Erwin Tumiri.
With the same links, he describes his location at impact. With Suarez.

As yet, there is no further info, in any language, as to the location/role of the rest of the so-called "tripulacion" on this flight. There simply isn't the info out there- beyond Quiroga and we are now told Goytia may have been co-pilot. That's it.
Copiloto de LaMia no tenía autorización de vuelo | ATB Digital
Encina's wife has also already given (upthread) her understanding of why her pilot husband was on this flight.

Further links upthread also have an interview where Tumiri describes his role with detail and his history with LaMia - which in itself, he says, was very limited. He also referred to his exchange with the flight engineer about refuelling.

None of us can verify the contradictions in Tumiri's own recollections but we can note the discrepancies. Perhaps the reporter simply invented the "foetal... suitcases.... shouting" elements? Surely the default is: first read what is said without relying on a single bad translation; secondly treat everything with caution even if it comes out of the mouth of the Defence minister; third, appreciate that these events occur in a Bolivian context.
Doubtless, it'll still require the same approach even when the final report is released and when the legal cases are complete.