PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2016, 10:13
destinationsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
Destinationsky

"The back track issue does not currently have an impact on landing or departure rates with the current volumes of traffic. "

I can speak from personal experience - it does!

Not only does the gap between successive arrivals need to be extend beyond the absolute minima of 3-4 miles (minimum permitted longitudinal radar separation and wake vortex), quite frequently with RWY 20 in use a log jam occurs with pending departures at Hold B1, preventing pushbacks from some adjacent Stands and arrivals being able to taxi onto Stand.
Agreed, it does stop push backs occasionally from the higher stands but this certainly does not warrant spending millions in putting a full length taxiway. It doesn't happen every hour of every day. The business case is not there. Even if you consider the minimal extra fuel burn. The traffic levels would have to be close to full runway capacity to even consider spending the money.

So about the ILS, you've still not responded to that?

You can speak from personal experience but believe it or not, so can I. And I'm pretty sure that my experience allows me to look at it more objectively than most.